giovedì 5 novembre 2015

How I fell in love with reading...and why, once again, we'll live happily ever after

My dear readers and friends,
I am now pretty sure you know that my favourite hobby is, and has been for quite some time, reading. For the second time, I would like to say this is more than an interest; it's more of a love story, just like the one with the English language I described last week. And however strange it might seem, this one started even earlier!
To be honest, I don't remember how, but at the age of three and a half years, I was already able to read. What I clearly remember, though, is that this fact caused mixed reactions among the people around me: schoolmates made me unpopular; teachers were half impressed, half shocked; but the worst of them all were some parents who started pressing on my parents with stupid theories on my mental health. Twats. Just like the children they gave birth to. And with whom I never became friends, and rightly so. But that's another story...
In my childhood, then, I spent most of my time reading, instead of playing with the others. But not reading comic books, children's magazines and stuff like that: no, I was a lot more interested in science, nature and technology! Very nerdy, then!
In primary and middle school, my reading skills were, as a matter of fact, better than my mates', and I was extremely proud of being able to read long and complex words without slowing down and reading them syllable by syllable, as they did. There has even been a time when I developed a passion for...medicine data sheets!
During the secondary school years I started reading novels, in addition to everything else, but at that time, there wasn't much to improve anymore...
Having attended a technical school, I clearly was the only one in my class with such an interest, and that made my literature and history teacher very happy!
Not much has changed since then; every day, on my journey to university and back, I always read a few pages, just like I do in the breaks between a lecture and the following one. And, if I'm not too tired...before going to bed!
Reading, then, has been more than a passion, to me. It's an important part of my life. Something I love.
And don't forget that...

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one. George R.R. Martin

P.S. I know, you will be wondering: oh, you talk about love stories with a language and with reading, don't you have time for a girlfriend?
Well, at the moment I am happily single, and yes, I have never had any love stories with girls. Is it because of my personality? Who knows? All I know is that my soulmate is hiding somewhere among seven billion other people, maybe we have already met and known, maybe we are still ignoring each other's existence...only time will tell.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento